- November 02 2015
- Kimberly Cheng
What better way to start the holiday season than by doing something good? Join us in the fight to TACKLE HUNGER as we prepare to kick off the annual UCLA Food Drive!
From now until December 11, donate funds or food to help those in need. There will be a range of events and fundraisers leading up to the big game against rival USC on November 28.
Hosted by UCLA Events & Transportation, the UCLA Food Drive will be collecting goods and funds to support the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank and the UCLA Food Closet, a UCLA Community Programs Office initiative that provides struggling students with a helping hand. Bins will be provided by UCLA Events & Transportation and can be collected from Bruin Commuter Services (BSC) in the Transportation lobby (555 Westwood Plaza Suite 100). UCLA Events & Transportation will also be partnering with UCLA Athletics, the UCLA Volunteer Center and UCLA Alumni Relations in an effort to spread hunger awareness through community outreach.
Over the years, with assistance from the entire UCLA community, the UCLA Food Drive has collected over 45,000 pounds of food donations, which were given directly to underprivileged individuals and families. With an even higher goal set for this year, we encourage everyone to contribute what they can, as needs in and around the UCLA community have increased.
We need your help!
Let’s unite for a great cause and show everyone that UCLA cares about our community. Please donate funds or food to help our less fortunate community members and neighbors this Holiday Season! Click here to make an online donation or text “GoUCLA” to 41444. To donate canned goods or nonperishable items, please visit one of the following locations:
- Bruin Commuter Services (555 Westwood Plaza, Suite 100)
- Volunteer Center (10920 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 1500)
- Community Service Commission (405 Kerckhoff Hall)
- Events Office (168 Kerckhoff Hall)
- University Apartments South Resident Services Office (3200 Sawtelle Blvd.)
- University Apartments South Facilities Building (3327 Sepulveda Blvd.)
- University Apartments North Resident Services Office (11020 Weyburn Dr.)
- University Apartments North Facilities Building (925 Weyburn Place)
To request a donation bin for your department or building, please contact Eddie Munguia at email@example.com.
- November 25 2014
- Angela Moreira
This year, UCLA and USC joined forces in a friendly food drive competition to raise funds for the LA Regional Food Bank. The 2014 UCLA Food Drive: “Yes, we can Tackle Hunger” benefits the LA Regional Food Bank and the UCLA Food Closet, an on-campus resource that provides food and basic necessities to UCLA students in need.
The rivalry was at an all-time high as the Bruins and Trojans battled on the field in the big UCLA vs. USC football game at the Rose Bowl on Saturday, Nov. 22. During the game, fans had an opportunity to donate funds via text message to support their respective schools.
Bruin fans rallied at the game and contributed a total of $1300 to win the 2014 Tackle Hunger Challenge against USC. In addition, members of the UCLA community have also donated $840 online in the virtual fund drive so far and roughly 3.5 bins of canned goods.
The annual UCLA Food Drive is running now through Friday, Dec. 12. To contribute, please click here.
Photos courtesy of LA Regional Food Bank.
- October 22 2014
- Angela Moreira
As the holiday season approaches, the UCLA community is invited to “TACKLE HUNGER” in the 2014 UCLA Annual Fund and Food Drive between Monday, Oct. 27 and Friday, Dec. 12.
This year, UCLA and USC were presented with the unique opportunity to partner with the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank to help the community fight hunger.
As the two universities continually strive to contribute positively to the community through various philanthropic projects, UCLA and USC have joined forces in a friendly competition aiming to spread hunger awareness through community outreach beyond campus walls.
The UCLA Food Drive will benefit the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank, an organization that serves Los Angeles County, and the UCLA Food Closet, an on-campus resource managed by the Community Programs Office that provides struggling students with a safe place to pick up food.
The UCLA community is invited to participate in the following ways:
- Donate Money: Every $1 donated equals 4 meals…
Monetary funds to LA Regional Food Bank and the UCLA Food Closet will be accepted until Dec. 12:
- Click here to make a tax-deductible donation to the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
- Click here to make a donation to the UCLA Food Closet
- Donate Food: Goods can be donated to LA Regional Food Bank and/or the UCLA Food Closet at the following locations between Oct. 27 – Dec. 12:
- UCLA Transportation Lobby (Strathmore Building)
- Student Activity Center (Community Programs Office, Room 105)
- K-6 Information and Parking Booth (on Westwood across from Strathmore)
- Transit Office on Kinross (near Parking Structure 32)
- Fleet Yard (on Charles E. Young West)
- Events Office (located in Kerckhoff)
- Volunteer Center (in the Wilshire Center, Suite 1500 Lobby)
- Donate at the Bruin Bear to win tickets to the UCLA vs. USC game: Make an online donation or donate at least two cans of food at the Bruin Bear, between Monday, Nov. 17 and Friday, Nov. 21, to be entered in the UCLA Food Drive raffle for a chance to win a pair of tickets to the UCLA vs. USC game on Saturday, Nov. 22. All donations on Bruin Plaza will be accepted throughout the week from 10am to 2pm, except on Friday, Nov. 21, when donations will end at 12:00pm.The raffle winners will be contacted via email on Friday, November 21 by 1pm, and will have until 4pm that day to pick up the game tickets at the UCLA Transportation lobby. If the winning tickets go unclaimed, they will be raffled off to the next eligible winners.
- UCLA vs. USC: The BIG Game: On Saturday, Nov. 22, you will have the opportunity to donate funds online or via a text-to-donate competition during the game. A pre-game announcement will rally fans to text-to-give to Beat USC.
- Text-to-give: Text GOUCLA to 85944 on your phone and reply, ‘yes’ to confirm your $10 donation to the LA Regional Food Bank. The donation will be added to your phone bill. Every $10 donated helps the Food Bank feed 40 people!
- Donate your social media status: Click here to donate your social media status to #TackleHunger on November 22 at 12:00pm through Thunderclap. Thunderclap allows the LA Regional Food Bank to automatically post a message of support on your feed along with other supporters.
Below are some examples of food items you can donate:
- juice boxes
- canned tuna
- peanut butter/jelly
- canned fruits or vegetables
- pancake mix/syrup
- breakfast squares/cereal bars/oatmeal
- coffee/tea/ powdered milk
- macaroni and cheese/instant noodles
- Personal items: toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion
To view a complete list of requested items, click here. You can also help us spread word about this year's food drive by posting and sharing our flyer.
To stay up-to-date with the latest news, click here to join our Facebook event page.
Thank you for your generosity! Go Bruins!