Anyone using the Sunset Bridge during the last few weeks has probably noticed that they are driving on new roadway. The southern half of the Sunset Bridge, which had been under construction for more than a year, is now complete and is handling all eastbound and westbound traffic on Sunset Boulevard. Demolition of the northern half of the bridge will begin on the night of Monday, October 31st and will continue for a total of 12 consecutive nights. Nighttime-only road closures are planned for October 31st through November 8th:
Sunset Boulevard will be closed between Church Lane and Sepulveda Way each night from 10pm to 6am from Monday, October 31st through Tuesday, November 8th.
- Eastbound Sunset traffic will be detoured to NB Church Lane to SB Sepulveda Boulevard to EB Sepulveda Way to EB Sunset.
- Westbound Sunset traffic will be detoured to WB Sepulveda Way to NB Sepulveda Boulevard to SB Church Lane to WB Sunset.
Northbound I-405 will be closed between the Montana Avenue off-ramp and the Moraga Drive on-ramp from midnight to 5am from Monday, October 31st through Wednesday, November 2nd (three nights).
- Northbound I-405 traffic will be detoured off the freeway at the Montana off-ramp to NB Sepulveda Boulevard to the Moraga Drive on-ramp.
Southbound I-405 will be closed between the Sunset Boulevard off-ramp and the Wilshire Boulevard on-ramp from midnight to 5am from Thursday, November 3rd through Saturday, November 5th (three nights).
- Southbound I-405 traffic will be detoured off the freeway at the Sunset off-ramp to NB Church Lane to SB Sepulveda Boulevard to WB Wilshire Boulevard to the Wilshire on-ramp.
Sepulveda Boulevard will be closed between Montana Avenue and Sepulveda Way from 9pm to 6am from Sunday, November 6th through Tuesday, November 8th (three nights).
- Northbound Sepulveda Boulevard traffic will be detoured to EB Montana Avenue to NB Veteran Avenue to WB Sunset Boulevard to WB Sepulveda Way to NB Sepulveda Boulevard
- Southbound Sepulveda Boulevard traffic will be detoured to EB Sepulveda Way to EB Sunset Boulevard to SB Veteran Avenue to WB Montana Avenue to SB Sepulveda Boulevard
- Traffic control officers will be on site to direct traffic
- Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained at all times
- Closure of Sepulveda Boulevard will not be simultaneous with freeway closures
- Freeways could remain closed as late as 7am on weekend mornings
For more information on the Sunset Bridge’s demolition and reconstruction, please visit http://www.metro.net/projects/I-405/sunset-bridge-demolition-reconstruction/.