The I-405 will be closed between the 101 and 10 throughout an entire weekend in mid-July in order for Caltrans to demolish one half of the Mullholland Bridge.
- The mid-July closure of the I-405 stretches between the 101 and 10 freeway interchanges
- I-405 will be completely closed to vehicular traffic starting midnight on July 15th
- I-405 will reopen at 5AM on July 18th
- Note: Caltrans and Metro will begin some lane closures before midnight on the 405 in preparation for the entire freeway closure.
UCLA Transportation is beginning to formulate its response. This includes checking event schedules to understand potential impacts. Based on what I have gleaned from news reports, officials expect alternatives to the 405, such as Beverly Glen, to be very congested.
PR Blitz Commences
Already, the PR blitz to ensure that the pending I-405 closure is common knowledge by July has commenced:
- Plan now for huge summer 405 closing (Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky’s blog)
- July Is The Wrong Month To Get On The 405 (LAist)
- Valley motorists face mid-July nightmare on 405 over Sepulveda Pass (Daily News)
- 405 to be shut down entire weekend in July (KPCC)
- 405 freeway over Sepulveda Pass to be fully closed weekend of July 15-18