Despite the warnings of Carmageddon, many people will still have trips that they must make during the weekend of the I-405 closure (July 15-18). If you have to travel, why not use public transit? You won’t have to waste gas sitting in traffic, and in many cases, rides will be free or discounted during that weekend.
- Metro Red, Purple and Orange Lines will be free and will have additional trains/buses on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Select Metro bus lines on the Westside and in the San Fernando Valley will be free on Saturday and Sunday. Some routes will supplement regular weekend service with additional buses. Free routes include:
- 761 on Sepulveda
- 20 and 720 on Wilshire
- 2 on Sunset
Visit http://www.metro.net/projects/I-405/i405-special-transit-service/ for a complete list of routes.
- Metrolink will offer discounted rides on its commuter trains throughout the weekend, with a special $10 pass that allows for unlimited travel from 7pm on Friday until 11:59pm on Sunday. Metrolink will offer its regular weekend schedule, with additional service on the Ventura County and Antelope Valley lines. Visit http://metrolinktrains.com for details.
Please be aware that the following services will reduce or cancel operations during the weekend of the closure:
- Westwood FlyAway to/from LAX will offer only hourly departures (on the hour) on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Amtrak California Thruway buses, which normally connect Westwood with the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner train at Van Nuys and the San Joaquin train at Bakersfield, will not be running on Saturday or Sunday. In order to catch these trains, take the Metro 720 bus from Wilshire/Westwood to Wilshire/Western, at which point you will transfer to the Purple Line, which will take you to Union Station. At Union Station, you can board the Pacific Surfliner or catch another bus to Bakersfield to connect with the San Joaquin. Visit http://www.amtrak.com for more details.