UCLA Fleet and Transit, Insurance & Risk Management and Environment, Health & Safety have partnered together to launch the third annual “Be Alert Bruins” safety campaign! This year, the campaign will focus on backing your vehicle safely.
Did you also know that the average person spends less than 1% of their time driving in reverse, yet one out of four vehicle collisions involve backing?
Follow these 10 tips to make sure you are backing safely:
- INSPECT THE AREA: Make sure you perform a visual check of the area you are about to back into. If you’re not sure if it’s safe, get out and check for hazards.
- BE AWARE OF YOUR CLEARANCES: Make sure you are aware of any obstructions behind, to the sides, above and below your vehicle. This is especially important if you drive a larger vehicle such as a van or truck.
- BE ALERT – AVOID DISTRACTION: Before backing – turn off your radio, turn down your heater/ac and lower your window.
- USE YOUR MIRRORS CONTINUOUSLY: Check all mirrors before moving and re-check them continuously as you back or park your vehicle.
- USE YOUR 4-WAY EMERGENCY FLASHERS AND TAP YOUR HORN: You want drivers and pedestrians to be aware of your presence.
- MANEUVER SLOWLY: The slower you maneuver your vehicle the more time you have to react to hazards.
- BACK FROM THE DRIVER SIDE: You have less visibility when you back from the passenger side.
- USE A GUIDE: There’s nothing like an extra set of eyes to assist you. Pick someone reliable and be sure to agree on hand signals before backing.
- BACK IN TO YOUR PARKING STALL UPON ARRIVAL: It is safer than backing into traffic when you depart.
- AVOID BACKING: Whenever possible position your vehicle so you can a avoid a backing maneuver.
Pledge to back safely on Facebook and you could win one of 10 emergency kits (a $50 value)! Here’s how to enter:
- Go to our Facebook page and join the Pledge to Back Up Safely and Enter to Win Prizes event.
- On the event page, leave a comment saying which one of the ten tips listed above you will pledge to follow. For example, you could say, “I pledge to use my mirrors continuously when I back up!”
Make sure to share the event with your other Facebook friends so they can also enter to win. Every Friday at 2pm during the month of April, two winners will be drawn to receive either 1 roadside emergency kit or 1 emergency survival kit! Limit one entry per person. You must be a UCLA faculty/staff member or current UCLA student to enter.
Reg. $54.95. Contains the necessary items to sustain 1 person for 3 days. Rugged backpack features padded shoulder straps making it comfortable to carry when fully loaded. Contains: 1 food bar – 3,600 calorie, 9 water boxes – 8.45 oz. each, 1 emergency blanket, 1 tissue pack, 9 wet wipes, 3 waste bags, 1 flashlight with batteries, 1 radio with batteries, 3 light sticks, 1 rain poncho, 1 utility knife, 1 pair leather palm gloves, 1 whistle, and 1 duct tape PLUS First Aid Kit: 6 non-aspirin, 4 alcohol wipes, 2 tongue depressors, 4 antiseptic towelettes, 5 gauze pads, 4 antibiotic ointment, 8 adhesive bandages, 1 first aid manual, 1 ice pack , 1 adhesive tape, 1 scissor, 1 tweezer and 1 pair vinyl exam gloves.
Compact storage bag contains flashlight with batteries, emergency blanket, 2,400 calorie food bar, 6 water pouches – 4.227 oz. each, rain poncho, booster cable, Fix a Flat, textured work gloves, safety flare, 2 light sticks, whistle and first aid kit.