I think of tagging as something you do with maps and files- but today (May5th) my colleagues and I here in Transportation Planning tagged all the bikes at racks on campus with notices about the upcoming bike week. We also counted the number of bicycles in racks for our annual bicycle rack count.
Here are a few observations from the annual tagging of the bicycles:
(1) Eveyone on campus was so polite and the bikers seemed glad to learn about the upcoming event.
(2) Most of the bikes I saw (Central Campus area) were really well used and worn in. If these bikes were cars, they would be called “beaters”.
(3) Around the Science Quad, riders added mirrors and horns to their handlebars. Lots of bikes, everywhere, had baskets and inventive ways to carry things. Milkcrates too!
(4) My colleague, JP, made the comment that all the bikes models and colors and types were different! Almost never did we see two of the same bike model (e.g., a Trek “3900″ in red).
(6) I didn’t see many bike licenses- one from Colorado State.
(7) Did come across an amazing electric foldable bicycle at a rack
(8) Here is a well kept secret: Lots of new inverted U capacity in rack area across from the Wooden Center entrance/ North side of the Morgan Center Building.