This year, make Earth Month your month. Earth is teeming with life, so why not take a little bit of yours to celebrate it? There are tons of Earth Month events at UCLA and around the LA area throughout April. You won’t just be pulling weeds at these events. You’ll have some fun in the sun while meeting friendly faces, doing crafts, enjoying food, movies, games, exhibits and much more, all while appreciating the planet you call home. The following is a list of a few events, culminating in the celebration of Earth Day on Friday, April 22, 2016.
Events at UCLA:
April 5-8, USAC’s Student Wellness Commission’s EARTH Exhibit
- Kerckhoff Hall Venue - Art Gallery (214), 8 a.m. - 11 p.m.
- Enjoy an inspiring and refreshing photo gallery surrounding the outdoor experience.
- Bunche Hall Meeting Room – 10383, 2 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.,
- A talk about land and watershed conservation in Java.
April 18-21, Green Screens 2016
- James Bridges Theater, films start at 7:30 p.m.
- April 18: Last Call at the Oasis
- April 19: The True Cost
- April 20: Can You Dig This
- April 21: Dive!
- Environmental film festival that is free and open to the public.
- Korn Hall, 7:30 p.m.
- This panel will discuss the future of GMOs in kitchens, restaurants and food supply chains.
- Pauley Pavilion, 5 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
- Featuring the #SleepRevolution College Fair, guest speaker Arianna Huffington, live musical performances, free giveaways and more.
April 22, E3's Earth Day Fair
- Wilson Plaza, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- More details TBA
Events Around LA:
- Private Home, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Political fundraiser with a minimum cost of $100.
- Bergamot Art Station, Santa Monica, 5:30 p.m.
- Networking mixer and discussion panel with outstanding industry, government and academia experts.
- Santa Monica Pier, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Help make Santa Monica beautiful for a good cause. Then enjoy free activities all afternoon.
- Third Street, between Civic Center Drive and Foothill Road, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Includes a water conservation lesson, paper shredding event, earthquake simulator, Earth Day crafts, pet adoptions and much more.
- Mercado La Paloma, 6 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Hear from food systems experts across the food chain, including renowned author Anna Lappé, on how government food contracts can create fair and sustainable practices throughout Southern California.
- Lexus Santa Monica, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- A fun and festive reception and award’s celebration.
- Thursday, April 21, 15th Annual Municipal Green Building Conference and Expo
- SoCal Gas Energy Resource Center, Downey, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- The effects of global warming on water supply represent one of the greatest challenges for cities in Southern California. This event offers knowledge, resources, recognition, and networking opportunities.
April 23, Earth Day at the Bay
- Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center, Newport Beach, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- A day of sun and environmental education.
- George Elkins Auditorium, Pepperdine University, 3 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Dr. Heather Tallis of The Nature Conservancy talks about key connections between nature and people. RSVP needed.
April 23-24, Aquarium of the Pacific’s Earth Day Celebration
- 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Visit booths from various Earth-friendly organizations and participate in hands-on learning demonstrations for people of all ages.
- Bring an eWaste item to the Aquarium of the Pacific and receive a coupon valid for $10 off adult admission.
April 23-May 22, LA Zoo's Wild For the Planet Earth Day Series
- LA Zoo, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Come to the zoo to see endangered species and learn about their habitats and the threat they are under through fun and interactive exhibits, shows and activities.