Yesterday, UCLA students, staff and faculty were able to give Big Blue Bus (BBB) their feedback on the carrier’s upcoming proposed service changes. During the community meeting, the audience learned that Line 8, which original proposed changes would’ve caused a disturbance in service to the UCLA campus, will remain unchanged, and will continue to serve the UCLA community.
This past summer, BBB collected feedback via a survey, where bus riders were able to voice their opinions and concerns on the proposed changes. If you haven't had the chance to participate yet, the survey will officially close in one week, so give your input as soon as possible.
A few important dates are coming up. The next big workshop will be held on Tuesday, Dec. 16, 2014. At that time, BBB will take all the information they have been collecting and present it to the Santa Monica City Council.
Timeline of Next Main Events:
February/March: Final plan proposal
September/October 2015: First minor changes will take place
February 16, 2016: BBB Expo line opening
If you are dissatisfied with the proposed service changes and want to make an impact, you are welcome to contact your local councilman.
The complete BBB Expo Integration Study proposed changes can be found online at http://bit.ly/1nc7Ghj.
Recap of draft recommendations:
Route 1 Santa Monica Blvd
- Adjust downtown Santa Monica routing
- Extend to Marina del Rey
- Remove infrequent extension to Venice High
- Frequency and hours of service unchanged
- In Venice, use Metro Route 33, Big Blue Bus Route 3, or new Big Blue Bus route on Walgrove Ave.
Route 2 Wilshire Blvd:
- Truncate route at Westwood Blvd to reduce duplication of service and improve speed and reliability
- Frequency and hours of service unchanged
- In Westwood/UCLA campus, use Route 1 or Rapid 12 to travel to Wilshire/Westwood to transfer to Route 2.
Route 3 Lincoln Blvd & Montana Ave
- Consolidate operations of Route 3 and Rapid 3
- Add stops to Rapid 3
- Operate Rapid 3 more frequently
- Replace Route 3 service between Downtown Santa Monica and UCLA with service to key destinations along the route using new or adjusted services
- Approximate time between buses: 8 min during peak hours and midday, 15-30 min in the evening
- On Montana Ave corridor, use Big Blue Bus Routes 8, 9, 41, or 14, or new Big Blue Bus routes serving 26th St. and Barrington Ave
- In Westwood/UCLA campus, use Routes 1, 2, or Rapid 12
- On Sepulveda, use Culver City Bus Routes 6 or Rapid 6
- On Manchester Ave, use LA Metro Route 115Expo
Route 4 San Vicente Blvd & Carlyle Ave
- Eliminate this route and provide service to key destinations along the route using other new or adjusted services
- Service to the VA Hospital will be provided by the new Route S
- Approximate time between buses: TBD
- On 4th St between Downtown and San Vicente Blvd, use Route 8
- On San Vicente Blvd between 14th St and 26th St, use new Route T
- On San Vicente Blvd near Bundy Dr, use Route 14
- On San Vicente Blvd near Barrington Ave, use new Route B
- Route S will connect Wilshire Blvd, the VA Hospital, and Sawtelle Blvd with the Sepulveda Expo Line station
- On Olympic Blvd, use Route 5
- On Pico Blvd, use Route 7
Route 5 Olympic Blvd
- Reduce duplication with Metro and Expo Line
- Delete service east of Century City
- Delete service between Bergamot and downtown Santa Monica
- Extend route south from Century City to Palms Expo Line Station
- Weekday frequency decreased from every 20 minutes to every 30 minutes
- Hours of service will remain the same
- On Pico Blvd, use Big Blue Bus Route 7 or Rapid 7
- On Robertson Blvd, use LA Metro Route 220
- Between Bergamot and downtown Santa Monica, use Expo Line or Big Blue Bus Route 1 on Santa Monica Blvd
Route 8 Ocean Park Blvd (This line will now remain unchanged)
Previous proposed changes:
- Extend to North Santa Monica
- Adjust downtown Santa Monica alignment
- Extend to Culver City Expo Line Station instead of serving UCLA
- Frequency and hours of service remain the same
- On Westwood Blvd and UCLA campus, use Rapid 12.
Route 12/Rapid 12 UCLA/Westwood to EXPO
- Consolidate Route 8, 12, and Rapid 12 service on Westwood Blvd on a restructured Rapid 12
- Create limited stop, high-frequency corridor serving Westwood and Overland
- End route at Motor Ave & Washington Blvd
- In Palms and Culver City, use Big Blue Bus Routes 8 or S.