Whether it is through a smartphone app, a phone call or a website, there are many ways of gathering real-time traffic information. To make your search easier, we have put together a list of some of the best traffic information sources. Plan your commute accordingly and remain up-to-date on traffic by using these helpful sources:
Apps (Also available as websites)
Waze is a community based traffic and navigation app that allows drivers to share real time traffic and road information to improve daily commuting for all. By driving with the app open, users passively contribute traffic and other road data. Users can also opt to take a more active role by reporting information on accidents, police traps and other hazards. Amongst other perks, one can also get road alerts on route, find cheap gas stations with community-shared fuel prices and coordinate and meet up with friends easier
- Turn-by-turn voice guided navigation
- Live maps, consistently edited and updated by Waze community editors
- Automatic re-routing as conditions change on the roads
- App learns frequent destinations, commuting hours and preferred routes
Sigalert features constantly updated, real-time road speeds, around the clock traffic reports from CHP and the largest network of roadside traffic cameras in the U.S. It provides you with detailed speed information and 24/7 coverage of road conditions.
- Real-time traffic map
- With Sigalert's incredibly detailed speed information, users know when traffic is moving 25 miles per hour and when it's moving 40 miles per hour
- 24/7 speed, accident and construction coverage
- Sigalert features Total Traffic data. Their around-the-clock coverage of road conditions comes from hundreds of professional traffic reporters stationed in state-of-the art data centers across the U.S.
- Extensive traffic camera network
- Personalized routes showing only the conditions on your drive
- Traffic detail with just a tap of the map
- Automatic track of GPS while you drive
Go511 allows commuters to select what information and features they want to see displayed on the map. Go511 provides up-to-the-minute traffic updates for 5 counties in Southern California: Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura.
- Real-time traffic, live traffic alerts, speeds and details including SigAlerts and roadwork.
- The alerts bar, located at the top of the screen, features significant incidents or changes to road conditions that could impact your commute
- Freeway cameras that allow you to see live road conditions
- The app offers an option to connect you directly to 511 and get information over the phone
- Share feedback and comment by tapping on the "More" section of the menu
Google's web mapping software provides commuters with accurate maps and voice guided GPS navigation for driving when using the app. It also features live traffic conditions, incident reports, and automatic re-routing to find the best route.
- Route planning
- Displays traffic conditions in real-time major roads and highways.
- Analyzes the GPS determined locations transmitted to them by a large number of users
- Traffic appears by selecting "Traffic" from the drop-down menu. The colored overlay appears on major roads and highways in which green, red, yellow and gray (no data) are the main colors
- Can use search to display traffic in a particular area
- Provides the option of viewing "Typical Traffic" by selecting day and time
- Traffic incidents are displayed
- Street view and indoor imagery for places
With bing™ maps, users can view current traffic information for major highways and roads. As a user, you have options to make your travel easier by searching for routes that avoid highways and toll roads. You can save your destination history and take advantage of the easy-to-share maps.
- User is able to choose best route to destination by selecting the "view route based on traffic" option
- Maps are equipped with incident icons that provide detailed information on incident category, description, location as well as start and approximate end time
- Turn-by-turn directions
- Bird's eye view, a better angle of aerial view
KNX AM 1070 is Southern California’s only all-news radio station serving Los Angeles County, Orange County, Ventura County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County and San Diego County. You will not only be informed on the latest news of the day, but you will also be receiving great up-to-date information on traffic issues in your local area.
- All day information on traffic “Traffic & Weather Together on the 5s”
- Also on transmitted on FM at 97.1 HD-2
- Informational twitter account on https://twitter.com/KNX1070
To get traffic information from any phone, you need only dial 511. The Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system will direct you though different channels to get you the most accurate information.
- Traffic reports on freeway traffic speeds, travel times, and planned closures
- Roadside assistance
- Touchtone keypad capability. If IVR is unable to detect your voice responses, you can switch to using the keypad only by entering *8. To return to using IVR, simply press *8 again
- Operators are standing by in case the IVR system is unable to provide a satisfying response
- If you are having trouble connecting to 511, simply call 877.22.Go511 (877.224.6511)
- IVR system in Spanish is coming soon
CHPsouthern is the official source of news and information from and about the CA Highway Patrol's Southern Division (LA County)
- Frequent updates on traffic jams, accidents and road closures
- Links to traffic-related information and news
- General website for real-time incidents by areas: