What are you doing to make this planet a safer and greener place on April 22nd? With Earth Day rapidly approaching, what better way to celebrate than by playing your part in making Earth a cleaner, healthier and more sustainable planet for all.
We've compiled a list of things we city folk can do to give back to this planet we call home year round. Go big or go home, right? Don’t be alarmed though: We promise this list does not require for you to get your fingernails dirty or your shoes wet.
Here are 5 simple ways you can green up your commute:
- Go Electric. Electric vehicles are a man’s best friend. Yes, even above our own furry friends. These electricity-powered vehicles are able to transfer up to 80% of the energy stored in their small but mighty car batteries, unlike gas-powered vehicles that can only use about 14-26% of the total energy. And even better, electric vehicles emit 0 kg of CO2. Find your nearest EV dealer.
- Try an E-Bike. With so many shops here in LA solely dedicated to the sale and repair ofelectric and folding bikes, the time has never been better to try out your very own e-bike! With a brilliant combination of electric power and one's actual manpower, these bad boys will help you get in good shape for this summer—all while helping you do your part in reducing traffic congestion and air pollution. Check out LA’s very first electric bike shop.
- Drive at the Speed Limit. Yes, I know this one may sound like something we’ve all heard a million times, but there is a lot more riding on this law than just the safety of you and those around you. Driving the speed limit can actually reduce fuel consumption by 10% and can reduce GHG emissions by 0.12 tonnes per year! Now that sounds like a law worth following!
- Service your vehicle regularly. Truth is, many of the negative effects that come with driving our vehicles can be diminished with something as easy as checking your tires before work. Driving with one tire under-inflated by 20% can result in the consumption of approximately two weeks more fuel per year, which not only reduces your vehicle’s tire’s life by six to nine months, but also increases your vehicle’s annual greenhouse gas emissions. Even things like replacing clogged air filters in your vehicle can improve fuel economy and reduce GHG emissions greatly. So what are you waiting for? Show your car the love it deserves!
- Scoot, Blade, & Skate. Tired of the usual bike commute? Why not try utilizing other inexpensive ways to get from point A to point B such as rollerblading, riding a scooter or skateboarding!
- Rollerblading’s increased popularity has captured the interests of many California natives. Plus, it has been proven to quickly improve your fitness and cardiovascular health while helping you avoid that heavy carbon footprint.
- Skateboarding may not seem to be for the faint hearted, but studies have actually determined it to be a relatively safe sport in terms of injuries sustained. Join the other 11 million participants worldwide who have made skateboarding their own unique way of giving back to planet Earth! Also, don’t forget to join Go Skateboard Day on June 21, 2016, by skateboarding to work or school!
- Scooters are a very inexpensive way to get to your destination. They are also gaining some real traction as an alternate means of travel for people of all ages. Additionally, they come in a huge range cool colors and sizes. I mean, what else could you possibly ask for?